Wednesday, October 2, 2013

W for Whiskey?

 When the past bumps up against the future it can often create a dilemma. 
 
This was recently brought to my attention.  I was on the phone with a major computer manufacturer about an item I ordered that was delivered to me defective.  Talking to the customer service representative I could hear an accent in his voice.  Of course he could hear an accent in mine, considering the fact I live in the Southern U.S. where accents and dialects are as numerous as ants at a Sunday picnic.  That's for another blog, though.
To make sure that he understood me correctly he repeated back to me every letter in my name and email address.  In doing this he used the "standard" word-for-a-letter format.  For example, for M he repeated, "M as in Mike?"  Now, this intrigues me because my name is Mark, why did I have to be called Mike?  That's another blog to write, too.  He proceeded to say, "A as in Alfa, R as in Romeo, K as Kilo."  I said all of this was correct.  When he came to my middle name which begins with "W" he said, "W as in whiskey."
Now, let me stop here because the word for "W" is whiskey, every time.  This has been a standard in use since the late 1950's.  "W" for whiskey.  Now, this really means nothing in the big picture called life but my life always comes into view when I hear "W" for whiskey.  My middle name begins with "W" (just in case you weren't following along) and it is the name given to me by my father to honor his brother.  Here's some quick family history on my part.  My father grew up in an era of hard and poor living in the South during the 20's and 30's.  It was a rough time for him and his family.  He quit school in the 7th grade to go to work eventually overcoming several obstacles to make a good living in hotel management before dying at the age of 46. 
Here's where the "W" for whiskey gets me every time.  My dad was an alcoholic.  I'm not talking about the nice, sweet, kindly fumbling and bumbling drunks we laugh at on TV sitcoms of the past.  I'm thinking Otis from The Andy Griffith Show here.  My dad was what you might call a mean drunk.  He drank whiskey and drank it hard.  For a time he lived hard.  There was a struggle with relationships, job commitments, and he had health problems.  Before he quit drinking two years before his death, which might have been the best two years of his life, he had lived a life where alcohol undermined his worth, value, and the lives of those around him. 
As a child growing up witnessing all of this; seeing the anger, hearing the angry slurs and profanity it became apparent to me that every time the sales person says "W" for whiskey I'm reminded in that moment, in that brief moment, that I come from a family where whiskey was not a "stand-in" for the letter, W.    
W for whiskey.  Why not "W for walking or whimsical or worship?  Some will say, "Mark, you think too much."  That's probably true.
What else is true is that what I experienced in my childhood has helped me to become the person I am; far from perfect.  I've had my own share of pain and struggle and mistakes.  All of this has given to me a more empathetic sense of those around me.  Many of us struggle with identity issues, past pain, future anxiety, etc.  The thing about it all is that we don't have to be defined by it.  That "W" for whiskey is my past bumping up against my future.  The "present" of my life reminds me that I am not my father. Still, I sense his influence in my life in ways that reveal to me the good and sometimes the not so good.  The paradox of living is that each of us is made up of the raw materials given to us by our parents.  It is our task to make something valuable of it all.
I am a man seeking to live my life in the best way that I know.  I seek to be a good husband, father, grandfather, brother, and friend.  Sometimes the past knocks on the door and tries to tell me to give up; that the future isn't any better.  And I say let the past lie; I won't stay there any longer.
W for whiskey? 
Really? 
How about W for Worthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment